The discussion on cow has pick up pace in recent times. Despite the name calling online by leftist-Islamists and continuing smuggling of cow in Bharat, Hindus still revere cow much more than any animal. In this article, we will do a practical analysis on why cow is still relevant for the whole humanity, not only Hindus.
Since the dawn of civilization, Hindu Dharma has been based on the pastoral and agriculture-based economy. In the Vedic age and post-Vedic age, the cow was used as a measure of wealth as well as currency – a person’s wealth was calculated based on the number of cattle he owned.
In Hindu tradition, cows are revered as mother and in scriptures associated with mother figures such as Aditi, mother of Gods and Prithvi, the mother earth. Our ancestors called the cows as “aghanya” or “who should not be killed” in Vedas. They understood the significance of the holy cow and gave great respect to the cows. The same is seen in other Indic religions of Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism.
Let us decode why our ancestors gave so much importance to the cow and if it is relevant today:
- A mother feeds a child for first few years. After that, the cow continues to provide healthy sattvic nutrition by its milk, curd and ghee all our lives. This is the reason it is called gau-mata, mother cow.
- The Sanatana Dharma emphasizes on ahimsa to attain mukti/moksha. Cow gives much more to mankind, than it takes. To support cows, treating them with respect and doing gauseva bring spiritual benefits to a person.
- Cow nourishes our body and also nourishes soil by cow dung and urine. Organic farming, which is being promoted now by the government, uses these as fertilizer. It ensures that soil does not lose its fertility and food is free from chemicals.
- Our ancestors used to spray fresh cow dung mixed with water in front of the houses to repel insects. Gomutra has been used as a medicine for millennia.
- The cow dung upla are also used for Yajnas which helps in spreading positive vibes at home.
- Cow Urine is a boon in treating major ailments. It is now scientifically proven that gomutra is antimicrobial, prevents infection from harmful disease carrying microbes, and a great immunity booster.
Cow has supported mankind since the start of civilization till now. However, western idea of treating a cow as a milking machine and sending it to slaughterhouse when it cannot milk is gaining adherents even in Bharat. To support cow is as much a dharmic duty as it is beneficial for mind and body.
This article has been sent by CowKart, which is an e-commerce portal for Cow products. Hindupost has made only minor changes in the article.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.