Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, sexual violence, forced conversions, land grab, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 3 January 2021 to 9 January 2021, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) Marathi media followed the lead of many anti-Hindu media houses and hid so-called comedian Munawar Faruqui’s anti-Hindu stance in a one-sided headline aimed at misleading the public. Marathi media was out to prove its secular credentials and Hindudvesh by failing to report that Faruqui had insulted Hindu bhagwans which has been added as an after-thought/byline by Maharashtra Times which reported on the incidence.
2) Hindus and Hindu mandirs in Jagan Reddy ruled Andhra have come under attack recently with such instances only increasing day by day. Many temples have been vandalized in the state in the recent past. Two more such incidents were reported from Vijaywada where a murti of Maa Sitamma was found broken in the morning at a temple near Vijaywada bus station, while a murti of the navagraha deity Ketu was vandalized at Sivalayam at Vuyyuru on the city’s outskirts.
3) Five men were booked by the UP (Uttar Pradesh) police under various sections of the UP Prohibition of Unlawful Conversion of Religion Ordinance for luring people into adopting Christianity in UP’s Shahjahanpur reports The Times of India (TOI).
4) A Muslim family that had recently reconverted to Hindu Dharma had to face the wrath of Islamists. In another incident of intolerance and hatred against Hindus, a family of a man who did Ghar wapsi from Islam to Hindu Dharma came under arson attack when he and his children were sleeping in their home. Dev Prakash Patel (formerly Mohammad Anwar) and his kids barely escaped with their lives when Islamic extremists locked their home from outside and set it on fire in order to burn them alive.
5) A case of grooming came to light from Mumbai where an actress homemaker Preity Talreja put forward allegations of falling prey to Islamic love grooming. She made love grooming allegations against her husband and pointed out how she was subject to physical and mental abuse by her husband who even faked their nikah (Islamic marriage).
6) A woman in Ujjain was trapped in a love grooming case by one Wasim who hid his Muslim adopted and became Vikas to trap the woman. A woman, who was duped by one Wasim identifying himself Vikas in a grooming case from Ujjain, has registered a complaint against the man on the basis of which Wasim has been arrested. The 35-year-old woman residing in Muninagar has alleged in her complaint that Wasim had duped her with the false promise of marriage and had been sexually abusing her for more than a year.
7) A Mumbai-based fashion designer has accused a Chartered Accountant (CA), Furquan Khan, of raping her and then further exploiting her under the pretext of marriage. The 25-year-old woman lodged an FIR at Vakola police station against Khan, a resident of Goawala compound in Kurla, on Thursday night.
8) Andhra’s Srisailam Bhramaramba Mallikarjun Mandir which is both a Jyotirling as well as a Shaktipeeth has come under attack from Abrahamics. The Mandir has been embroiled in several controversies in recent times from the temple contract being awarded to a Muslim named Mohammad Razaq who has been interfering in temple affairs and exercising control over temple authorities to increased Christian evangelical activities and proselytization at the holy temple town of Hindus.
9) Hindu interests are increasingly under attack in Andhra which indicates that the majority community is facing persecution in its own homeland which should be a cause of concern for Hindus. Hindupost has documented the series of attacks in AP.
10) Aroon Purie led India Today group presented a twisted narrative of a horrific superstitious act by TN family under a pastor’s influence by giving it a Hindu slant. In a classic show of dishonest journalism, the India Today group headed by Aroon Purie changed the religion of those involved in a superstitious act from Tamil Nadu. The original news story is about late constable Annai Indira from Dindigul in Tamil Nadu whose children were forced by a pastor to live with her decomposed body with the fake promise of resurrecting her like Jesus Christ.
11) A video of PV Sunil Kumar, Andhra Pradesh’s Additional DGP of CID, who has been handed over the charge of investigating the Ramatheertham incident, shows him not just admitting that he is a Christian but also thanking the missionaries who came with the British.
12) Radical Islamic preacher Zakir Naik has justified the demolition of the Hindu temple in Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Zakir Naik, a wanted televangelist fugitive who is currently hiding in Malaysia, issued a statement in this regard justifying how Mohammad himself had resorted to breaking of murtis.
13) Another instance of a Hindu mandir being vandalized with the murtis of Devi Lakshmi and Devi Saraswati being broken to pieces by miscreants at Muniguda’s Bhagwan Shiva mandir has come to light. The pujari (priest) of the mandir found the broken murtis in the morning and alerted the mandir committee authorities.
14) Continuing the series of attacks on Hindu temples in Andhra Pradesh, a Sri Ganesh murti has gone ‘missing’ from a temple village that falls in Pulivendula assembly constituency represented by YS Jaganmohan Reddy. Villagers of Chagaleru village in Vemula Mandal found the temple vigraha missing on Friday morning, and it is suspected that the temple was desecrated and murti stolen on Thursday night.
15) In a chilling rerun of the Ankit Saxena, Khetaram Bheel, Rahul Rajput, and K Lakshmipathi murders, another Hindu youth, Dharmendra Chouhan (22), was killed by the father of a Muslim girl over a relationship between the two. A man named Raees Khan murdered Dharmendra Chouhan for being in a relationship with his daughter and staged it as an accident.
1) In yet another case of abduction, forced conversion and ‘marriage’ of a Hindu girl in Pakistan, a primary school teacher Ekta Kumari has been targeted this time around. As per a Pakistani journalist in exile, Ekta was forcefully converted to Islam by the notorious Muslim cleric Mian Abdul Khaliq (aka Mian Mithoo or Mithu), and as is the pattern in such crimes she will soon be forcefully ‘married’ off to a Muslim man. These sham marriages are actually just a means of sexual enslavement of the helpless Hindu girls, who are often abandoned, murdered, or sold off into prostitution.
2) A 35-year-old Hindu woman was found dead hanging by a tree and the pictures clearly show her feet are tied up with a rope indicating it isn’t suicided as alleged by the police. She is a mother of 3 small children. The incident is from Goth Gul Mohammad, Chacharo, Tharparker, Sindh-Pakistan.
3) Muhammad Dildar & friends tried to behead a Hindu man Chhotu Kohli in Digri, Mirpurkhas, Sindh-Pakistan on 6-1-2020. Police refused even to register a case. Poor Hindu family had to file a case in court & get a court order to register a police complaint.
4) Another Hindu Girl, Dhani Kohli has been abducted for rape and conversion to Islam by armed men while she was in the market to buy groceries with her family in Vita Chorangi, Gulzar Colony, Karachi. Police have refused to register the case.
1) Bangladesh Jatiya Hindu Mohajote held a press conference to release statistics pointing out the rise in atrocities against Hindus in Bangladesh. At least 149 Hindus were killed in different incidents and 7,036 were injured in the country in 2020, which is far higher than the previous years’ figures of 108 Hindus killed and 484 injured, said Bangladesh Jatiya Hindu Mohajote on Wednesday. The organization’s secretary-general Gobinda Chandra Pramanik revealed the statistics at a press conference, said a press release. The press conference was held on atrocities on religious minorities in Bangladesh between January 1 and December 29, 2020, at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity in the capital. The atrocities on the Hindu community had increased in 2020 in comparison with 2019, he said.
2) Brutal attack on Hindu family by local Muslim Mohammad attempting to forcefully kick out Hindus from their land at Kochuya P.S Chandpur district.
3) Mohammad Harun and his men attacked Hindus in Barisal district’s Harta, Uzirpur.
4) Attack on a Hindu temple which was also looted and all the murtis were plundered local Muslim miscreants at Pirganj P.S, Tagorgaon district.
5) A Hindu girl Bithi Rani Das was abducted & forcibly converted into Islam by Mohammad Masum at Baganbari, Matlab North P.S, Chandpur District, Bangladesh.
6) A Hindu girl Lakingmi Chakma Das was kidnapped & Converted into Islam & then Murdered by local Muslims Mohammad Ataulla & 5 others at Sadar P.S, Coxbazar District.
7) A Hindu boy Topu Malakar was abducted & murdered at Rangunia P.S in Chittagong district on 6 January.
8) Brutal attack on a Hindu family by local Muslim Mohammad Khukan who tried to forcefully kick out Hindus from their land at Kulna district’s Ramjannagar, Shamnagar.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected]. We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.