Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grab, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 14 March to 20 March 2021, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) A 25-year-old woman returning after gathering Kanwar for the festival of Mahashivratri was lured on the pretext of giving her a lift and gang-raped by an acquaintance Akram and one other person in UP’s Bulandshahr.
2) In what appears to be a young friendship gone horribly wrong, a young Hindu Dalit teenager aged just 14, named Mahesh Kolli was kidnapped, tortured, mutilated, murdered, and the body was disposed of in the Bhima river by the boy’s Muslim schoolmate’s mother and her male acquaintance.
3) In yet another instance of a hate crime against Hindus, Dinesh of Agra was beaten up severely by Muslim factory owners in the Fatehpur Sikri area of Agra in UP. His crime was that he asked carpet-manufacturing units in his area to remove carpets that were strewn on the road making it hard for him to negotiate his motorcycle down the narrow roads in that particular area.
4) Police in Indore, MP has arrested 3 Muslim youth – Shadab, Parvez, Mohammed Kaif – on charges of assault and other IPC sections. The 3 men were coming out of a Chai-Sutta bar in the Bhawar Kuan area of Indore on Sunday night along with 2 girls when they were questioned by some locals on suspicion that the girls were minor. But suddenly the accused started assaulting the locals.
5) A viral video of a Muslim man glorifying invasions of Mahmud of Ghazni (Mohammad Ghaznavi) is doing the rounds of social media (SM). The video has been shot at the beach adjacent to the Somnath Mandir by the man himself and the temple is visible in the background while the man hails attacks on the Hindu holy site. He was later identified as one Irshaad Rasheed and the police have registered an FIR against him.
6) Meerut police arrested 2 youth for stealing women’s underwear that the accused claimed was for sexual pleasure. Mohammed Romin and Mohammed Assak, both degree students pursuing their Bachelors in Arts, were caught on CCTV cameras indulging in the bizarre act.
1) Merely two days after the news of Kavita’s abduction and forced conversion gained traction on social media and the case reached Pakistan court, the perpetrators set her house on fire. This, in all probabilities, is nothing but a strategy to create pressure on Kavita’s poor and distressed family to back down. Also, by burning down Kavita’s house, these Islamists evidently want to instill fear in the minds of all the poverty-stricken Hindus in Pakistan, giving out a message that if the minority Hindus want to live in Pakistan they will have to abide by the terms and conditions set out for them by the Islamists in the country.
2) Hindu Girl Pooja Meghwar abducted. She went missing while she was returning home from her workplace, a Textile Mill at Tando Jam, Dist. Hyderabad in Sindh. Her family claims that she has been abducted.
3) Journalist Ajay Lalwani killed by unidentified people in Salehpat Sukkur Pakistan.
1) A shocking case of mob attack on a Hindu locality has been reported today morning from Sunamganj district of Bangladesh. Human rights activists say that a large mob of radical Muslims attacked, looted and vandalized several Hindu houses, leaving victims in a state of shock and helplessness in Shalla (Sullah) upazila of this border district which falls in Sylhet division and is adjacent to the Bharatiya state of Meghalaya.
2) It is alleged that the heads of 5 Hindu boys were shaved as a punishment only because they had kept beards, which is ‘forbidden’ for Hindus. As per reports, Islamist fanatics Siraj Mia, Ful Mia, Anar Mia, Shaheen & Ataur together beat up 5 Hindu boys & shaved their heads for having beards as Hindus. The incident took place at Rasulganj Bazar of Patli Union in Jagannathpur, Sunamganj, Bangladesh.
3) A Hindu girl Misti Rani forcefully abducted & converted to Islam by Mohammad Rasel at Kalai P.S Jaypurhat District.
4) Hindu Iskcon temple in Bangladesh was attacked by local Muslim miscreants at Chittagong Sadar P.S, Chittagong district.
5) A Hindu temple was burnt down and the murtis were plundered by local Muslim miscreants in Ranisankial P.S, Tagorgaon district.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected]. We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.