Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grab, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 25 April 2021 to 1 May 2021, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) A Muslim man hiding his religious identity assumed the alias Ramesh and married a Hindu woman named Rajwinder Kaur near Tohana in the Fatehabad district of Haryana. Believing that he was a Hindu, Rajwinder married him in a local temple seven years ago. Three and a half years ago she gave birth to a baby girl. Her husband and his family started to compel her to convert to Islam. She refused and her husband abandoned both her and his own daughter who was by then three and a half years old, on the streets and left.
2) Hindu girls and women continue to be targeted in Western UP as demonstrated by two new cases reported from Baghpat. A young girl was lured to elope along with her family’s jewelry, while another was held hostage in her own house and molested.
3) Another harrowing end to a grooming Jihad where Hyder and his two friends, Arif and Farhan murdered a Hindu girl named Nidhi Paswan by slitting her throat with a paper cutter in broad daylight inside her house. The gruesome murder was reported this Saturday from Rourkee near Haridwar in the northern state of Uttarakhand. She was just 19 years old.
4) TMC Spokesperson Touseef Ahmed Khan used anti-Hindu” Gau Mutra” Jibe on the Live TV debate. On a recent live and televised debate, unable to counter questions posed to him, Touseef Ahmed was seen taking the infamous “Gau Mutra” jibe on his BJP counterpart.
5) A Kannada model turned actor named Shanaya Katwe (20) was arrested by the Hubli rural police for her alleged involvement in the murder of her 32-year-old brother, Rakesh Katwe. Others arrested included Shanaya’s lover and live-in partner Niyazahmed Katigar (21) who was a small-time realtor and his friends Tousif Channapur (21), Aman Giraniwale (19), and Altaf Mulla (24). During interrogation, it was found that Niyaz’s family were also involved in the crime. Shanaya was living as a ‘paying guest’ with Niyaz.
1) 30 Hindu families were attacked and an attempt was made to kick them out from their land at Eidgah, Coxbazar Upazila of Coxbazar district of Chittagong Division by Mohammad Saiful Islam and his men.
2) A Hindu girl was forcefully abducted & converted to Islam by Mohammad Luckman at Gazipur Sadar P.S Gazipur District.
3) In a land grab attempt, a Hindu family was attacked at Shamnagar Upazila of Shatkira district of Khulna Division in Bangladesh on 26 April.
4) More than 10 innocent Hindus were injured in an attack by Mohammad Abdul, Roman, Manusher, and others at Roujan Upazila of Chittagong district in Bangladesh on 27 April.
5) Hindu families were attacked and an attempt was made to kick them out from their land at Pangsaha Rajbari Upazila of Faridpur district of Dhaka Division on 29 April.
6) Hindu families were attacked and an attempt was made to kick them out from their land Pangsaha Rajbari Sunatala Upazila of Bogura district of Rajshahi Division on 29 April by Mohammad Amjad Hossen and others.
7) A medicine shop run by a Hindu was attacked and the Hindu shopkeeper Utpol Mazumdar was brutally assaulted and injured at Khasherhat, Subarnachar P.S, Laxmipur district Chittagong Division on 29 April.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected]. We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.