Recently there has been a recommendation by Malabar Devaswom Commission to completely take over more than 1000 private temples of Malabar region, including the temples under the Zamorin Raja, former kings of the Calicut kingdom. The Commission will give the report to Kerala Government soon and the Government plans to implement the Commission report as soon as possible. The royal family of Zamorin is moving court against this move.
There are over 60+ temples under control of the Zamorin’s Devaswom today, including Thirunavaya Nava Mukunda temple. Apart from this there are almost 1000 other temples under private trusts in Malabar region. Although all of these temples are already under Malabar Devaswom board for namesake, they are run by private trusts and Devaswoms. The current move is to completely bring the control of these temples under the Malabar Devaswom board.
Malabar Devaswom board will then become similar to the functioning of Cochin and Travancore Devaswom boards. Adv. Gopalakrishnan, who was instructed by the Kerala govt to make rules and regulations for the Malabar Devaswom board which for now only holds namesake authority over the temples of Malabar, was the one who gave the report regarding this. Some of the important recommendations made are – moving all economical matters of all temples into one account, giving same amounts to every temple, bringing employment related decisions directly under the control of Malabar Devaswom etc.
It seems that the Communist Government of Kerala is moving full-speed ahead with its agenda of eroding Hindu religious institutions in the state. Apart from the above case of Govt. controlled Malabar Devaswom Board taking over 1000 private temples, here are some other instances which showcase the anti-Hindu nature of CPM –
- CM Pinarayi Vijayan’s statement that the Sabarimala temple must be opened throughout the year in order to overcome the financial difficulties of Kerala government, shows how temples are just a means of generating revenue for the CPM Government, not institutions serving spiritual needs of Hindus.
- In Nov 2016, CPM-led LDF Govt. junked its Congress predecessor’s stand on the Sabarimala temple entry issue and went against its own Travancore Devaswom Board which manages the famed temple, by favoring the entry of women of all ages in the temple. With this CPM positioned itself directly against millions of Hindus who devoutly believe that since Sabarimala temple is dedicated to Sri Ayyappa in the Naishtika Brahmachari phase of life (a student who is undergoing his brahmacharya vrata), hence women between the ages of 10-50 are restricted. CPM’s blatant anti-Hindu stance on this issue has also galvanized ordinary Hindus to form a society called ‘People For Dharma‘ which has joined the ongoing PIL in Supreme Court.
- Kadakampally Surendran, the Devaswom minister who is in control of most Kerala temples, recently inaugurated a beef festival organized by CPM’s student wing SFI.
- Following the Supreme Court’s order on the appointment of a Government Executive Officer (EO) at the Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple, there have been reports of thefts and mismanagement in the temple.
- Even before coming to power, the Communist party aided the Mar Sleeva Puram project by the Vatican members in Kerala which tried to change the Hindu face of Thiruvananthapuram.
- The state has witnessed a number of murders of Hindu activists and attempts to desecrate Hindu temples and traditions.
Did you like this article? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.