In the previous post, we examined FCRA-NGOs of Delhi who will be majorly affected by the proposal to reduce administrative costs to 20% of total FC. In this post, we shall look at the group of FCRA-NGOs in Tamil Nadu who will be affected likewise.
In the following, we list only those FCRA-NGOs who satisfy the following two criteria:
- administrative expense is greater than 30%
- either the total FC in 2018-19 or the administrative expense is greater than Rs. 25 lakh
Some remarks on the list
1. ECI Inter Church Association is related to the Evangelical Church of India, founded by Rev. Ezra Sargunam, who is a famous personality in Tamil Nadu. Evangelical Church of India has a separate FCRA registration (TN/75900052).
2. I will be very wary of Faith Prayer and Tract League. Its FC4 is not transparent at all.
3. Oasis Ministries-Anna Nagar, Chennai is an interesting entity. It is run by a Padma Mudaliar. Among other activities, they appear to be involved in preaching in South Africa as well, as reported by a South Africa MSM here.
4. Families for Children too has a high administrative cost, but its activities are unspecified in the FC4.
5. It is ironic that India Trust of Pankiraj David runs an orfanaje in Sivagangai district, one which is well known for the philanthropy of Nattukottai Chettiars, who hail from there. With no damage done, we recommend that this CCI be closed.
6. Jesus Mission is in Mogappair, Chennai, JM receives funds from Family Vision Ministries-Oklahoma, USA.
7. Help The Children, run by a Caroline Lydia Rajwanthy receives ‘donations’ from Childcare Worldwide-Washington-USA (EIN=95-3619910) which states the following in its 2018 Form 990 (Part III, Line 4a): “Childcare Worldwide empowers Childern in the Developing World to Break Free from Poverty through a Ministry which emphasizes Education and is Based on the Gospel of Jesus Christ through a Child Sponsorship program”.
I will leave it to our intelligent readers as to how to interpret the phrase ‘break free from poverty’. HTC operates in Old Pallavaram, Anakaputhur, Keezhkattalai and Tambaram – all in Chennai.
8. Centre for Action & Rural Education (CARE) in Erode gets ‘donations’ from Freedom Fund-UK, Hans Foundation (Liason office in Delhi), Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics-Vancouver-Canada. CARE operates in Perundurai and other regions of Erode district. Its FC4 lists a P. Bala Murugan, who is the Program Advisor of The Freedom Fund and a Founding Member of the so-called ‘Tamil Nadu Alliance’ as the contact for Freedom Fund-UK (Charity No. 1158838).
An explanation of the phrase ‘Modern Slavery’ is beyond the scope of the Post. Curious readers are urged to read it up themselves. A hell lot of FCRA ‘donations’ come into Bharat to eradicate so-called ‘Modern Slavery’. Many of the donating foreign ‘charities’ in this regard possess unbenign aims for Bharat.
It is to be noted that many of the recipient FCRA-NGOs working on the aspect of ‘Modern Slavery’ collaborate with Indian law enforcement agencies. Intelligent readers are in particular, urged not to go by popular narrative on ‘trafficking’ etc., but use their knowledge of world strategic affairs and the role of religion in the same, to arrive at an understanding.
The Freedom Fund got a great boost in 2014, in a convention organized at the Vatican, where the then Pope of the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Francis, Archbishop Welby (Anglican Church) and the Australian philanthropist Andrew Forrest (of Minderoo Foundation) and others made a declaration against ‘modern slavery’.
9. Aide et Action (India) gets most of its ‘donations’ from its headquarters in France. It also receives sizeable ‘donations’ (likely via CSR) from Nasscom Foundation, Capgemini India etc. AeA South Asia’s advisory Board contains among others Shri. Sharad Chandra Behar, who is also one of its Directors.
10. Textile mill owners in the Tiruppur region must become aware of FCRA-NGOs such as the Trust for Education and Social Transformation. There are many like it, primarily funded from The Netherlands and from UK.
11. Karunakarya Trust gets all its ‘donations’ from Chance Fuer Morgen, Switzerland. According to their website, Among other works, Karunakarya appears to export some of the products made by its trainees to Switzerland, which are sold there to raise funds for the FCRA remittance.
|FCRA-NGO||Location & Registration No.||Total Administrative expenses (Rs.)||Total Foreign Contribution (Rs.) & % of Total FC||Chief Functionary||Activities|
|ECI Inter Church Aid & Service Association||Chennai 75900523||200,165,336||12288622 (1629%)||Bishop D Sundar Singh||Natural Calamities, Bible Support, Rural Development, School, College, Children, Preachers, Literature Distribution|
|In His Steps International Charitable Trust||Madurai 75940487||2,691,147||2690782 (100%)||Vasanthakumari||Unknown|
|Association for Rural Development||Madurai 75940165||9,802,215||9871357 (99.3%)||K Joseph Vincent||Education, Tsunami, Female Infanticide eradication|
|Instt for Rural Development Trust||Chingleput 75820076||3,036,503||4212839 (72.1%)||C Venkatachalam||Rural Development|
|Faith Prayer & Tract League||Chennai 75900096||13,085,162||18862072 (69.4%)||Dr. Mano Daniel||Samsung Galaxy, Keyboard, Motor, Furniture, Religious,|
|Salvation Army India-South Eastern Territory||76030017||55,213,793||100827924 (54.7%)||Colonel Edwin Masih||Children Home, Empowerment, Child Sponsorship, Christmas Donation, SelfHelp|
|Integrated Research & Reconstruction Organization||Kumbakonam 75960109||20,111,233||39351344 (51.1%)||I Maria Selvam||Education Physically Challenged|
|Oasis Ministries International||Chennai 75901201||1,615,001||3484723 (46.3%)||Padma Mudaliar||Education for Poor|
|Families for Children||Coimbatore 75850012||4,800,857||10766832 (44.59%)||Sandra Simpson||Unknown Social Work|
|National Women Development Trust||Cumbum 75900054||1,769,122||3968091 (44.6%)||Emmanuel Milton||School, Christmas Gifts, Snacks, Help to Poor, Aged Widows, Leprosy Community|
|Boys Town Society||Madurai 75940100||11,597,029||26363179 (44%)||A Nataraja Rathinam||School Education|
|In New Democratic Integrated Action Trust||Okkur 75960003||1,462,000||3457707 (42.3%)||Pankiraj David||Children’s Home (Orfanaje)|
|The Jesus Mission||Chennai 75901199||1,520,406||3662441 (41.5%)||Andrew Dev||Religious/Social/Educational/Compound Wall/Computer/LED Screen/Mike|
|Hope Public Charitable Trust||Chennai 75901250||1,980,609||4771749 (41.5%)||V Nagarani||Special School, Mahila Project|
|Bharathi Trust||Tiruvallur 76030248||3,330,436||8228643 (40.5%)||Siddamma||Education/Fellowship/etc.|
|Vidhyadhanam & Annadhanam Trust||Chennai 75901139||3,033,947||7714266 (39.3%)||Srinivasan K Swamy||Educational|
|Jamia Darussalam||Oomerabad 75980027||7,617,437||19907034 (38.3%)||U. Mohammed Khalilullah||Hospital, Students Hostel, Matriculation Girls School, Boys School, Higher Sec. School|
|Child Trust Medical Research Foundation||Chennai 75900379||2,160,069||5913028 (36.5%)||Mathangi Ramakrishnan||National Surveillance System for Enteric Fever in India|
|Share & Care Children Welfare Society||Chennai 75900055||920,222||2532744 (36.3%)||S. Arokiasamy||Orphans, Widows, Rural Development|
|Sharon Boarding School||Sambuvarayar Dist. 75980093||1,840,589||5140781 (35.8%)||Rt. Rev. Raja Socrates G||Boys Boarding Home, Education, Food, Shelter|
|Maranatha Full Gospel Association||Chennai 75900330||2,618,771||7475091 (35%)||Charles Finny Joseph||Children Home, Helping Poor, Reliigious Support|
|Ebenezer Home of Social Outreaches||Chennai 75900394||2,918,163||8353785 (34.9%)||Stanley Rajan||Tuition Centre, Child Day Care, Foster Care, Elder Care|
|Deva Anbu Illam||Coimbatore 75850184||2,213,744||6342047 (34.9%)||Karunakaran||Orfanaje. Receipts from Banner Elk Church-North Carolina, USA|
|Help The Children||Chennai 75900933||2,375,809||6829402 (34.8%)||Caroline Lydia Rajwanthy||Children Home-Tambaram, Life Centre, Care Centre|
|Centre for Action & Rural Education-CARE||Erode 76060031||3,185,476||9278395 (34.3%)||Joel||Livelihood support for modern slavery victims, empowering adolescents, HIV Infected|
|Aide Et Action||Chennai 75900517||40,935,895||119762625 (34.2%)||Ravi Pratap Singh||Workshop, Communication, Quality Education, Migration, Employability Training|
|Children’s Home of Hope||Chennai 75820033||1,799,878||5447108 (33%)||Indrani Sivaram||Orphans, Food, Shelter, Education|
|Carmel Educational Trust||Dharmapuri 75870066||1,919,654||5898603 (32.5%)||BackiaRaj||HIV, AIDS, Primary, Higher Education. All donations from Churches in USA|
|Mahalir Vidiyal Trust||Tiruchirappalli 76040302||3,755,780||12085976 (31.1%)||A Lilly Alphonsa||Rural Development, Education. Appears Catholic based on ‘donor’ source countries|
|Trust for Education & Social Transformation (TEST)||Srivilliputtur 76110022||1,804,885||5820444 (31%)||T Velmayil||Eradication of Sumangali Scheme in Textile Mills|
|Karunakarya Trust||Chennai 75901010||2,333,320||7674950 (30.4%)||Chellappa Christopher Samuel||Community College, Educational Support, Primary School, Evening Learning, Skill Training, Awareness Camp|
(This article was first published on the fcraanalyses.blogspot.com on 22 September, 2020 and is being reproduced here with permission.)
(Featured image source: capindia.in)
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.