The one qualification that ensures instant coverage and hero worship in Bharat’s MSM (mainstream media) is being anti-Modi.
It does not matter whether you are a crazy conspiracy theorist like IPS Officer Satish Verma or Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal, or an over-hyped youth/student leader like Kanhaiya Kumar or Hardik Patel. As long as you spew venom at Modi, our media will love you and build you up as an anti-establishment fighter.
A Senior Assistant Editor with The Hindu, Vijaita Singh, tweeted this today –
IPS officer Satish Verma says shunted for unearthing a transportation scam worth Rs 450 cr in Arunachal, my story https://t.co/27bnhFDonc
— vijaita singh (@vijaita) December 13, 2016
This was immediately retweeted by ace Modi-baiter Shekhar Gupta, a veteran media man who was Chief-Editor for Indian Express (when IE published the fantastic ‘coup’ story), before moving on to India Today Group, and who recently launched ThePrint, a news media start-up.
He's been brutally victimised since he dared to defy the powerful in Gujarat. That history, however, may colour his claims on this "scam." https://t.co/oZayLXdgun
— Shekhar Gupta (@ShekharGupta) December 13, 2016
An IPS officer who claims that he is being victimised for unearthing a corruption scam, and a top media professional empathises with him for ‘daring to defy the powerful in Gujarat’ (a codeword for Modi’s term as CM of Gujarat from 2001 – 2013) …any normal person would shake his head in disgust and cheer for the police officer, right?
But lets look at Satish Verma’s antecedents –
- A former home ministry officer R V S Mani, has claimed thatSatish Verma, then a member of the CBI-SIT team probing the Ishrat Jehan encounter, accused incumbent governments of “orchestrating” the terror attack on Parliament and the 26/11 carnage in Mumbai, with the objective of strengthening the counter-terror legislation. Mani also claimed that Verma tortured him to engineer evidence in favor of Ishrat.
- Verma was a nominee of Ishrat Jahan’s mother in the Special Investigation Team (SIT), formed by Gujarat high court to probe the encounter of Ishrat. Verma was later made part of the CBI team which was entrusted with the case by Gujarat High Court bench comprising Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha Kumari after SIT submitted its report. Abhilasha Kumari is daughter of Congress leader & ex-Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, Virbhadra Singh.
- Verma claimed that Ishrat Jehan killing was ‘premeditated murder’ and differed with his fellow SIT panelists and Intelligence Bureau (IB) who said that Ishrat was a Lashkar-e-Taiba cadre and fidayeen (suicide bomber). In 2009, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) filed an affidavit before the Gujarat High Court stating that Ishrat Jahan had links with LeT. However, a revised affidavit was filed within a month at the behest of Home Minister P Chidambaram, in which all references to Ishrat’s terror links were missing. In March 2016, former home secretary GK Pillai revealed how P Chidambaram had bypassed him and got the affidavit on Ishrat Jehan changed.
- Terrorist David Headley also told Bharat’s investigators and courts in two separate statements that Ishrat Jehan was indeed a a LeT fidayeen. You can read all about the Congress plot to entrap then Gujarat CM Modi in the Ishrat Jehan case in this HinduPost article.
- The Gujarat state home department has issued a chargesheet against Satish Verma, the Gujarat cadre IPS officer who is also facing probe for his involvement in some false encounter cases, for remaining absent from duty when he was principal of Police Training College in Junagadh.
So here is a discredited police officer with a murky past, who is doing what he does best – make outlandish allegations targeting his bete noire – Modi and BJP – this time through Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju…and the media laps it up. So, what else is new?
Just recently, ex-Air Chief SP Tyagi arrested by CBI for accepting bribe in the AgustaWestland chopper scam has named ex-PM Manmohan Singh’s office for involvement in the scam. Every man, woman and child in this country knows that Manmohan Singh did nothing without the explicit consent of the real power centre in UPA-1 & 2 – Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
Sonia Gandhi and Congress leaders like Ahmed Patel, Oscar Fernandes have been NAMED in an Italian court judgement for accepting the commission of €15 to 16 million (Rs. 120 – 125 crores) from the middlemen.
Has any media worthy tried to get Sonia Gandhi’s views on the AgustaWestland case? All you will hear from the media fraternity if you ask this question is an eerie silence.
Did you like this report? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.