Police personnel from Nuh Police Station were attacked by cattle smugglers in Haryana’s notorious Mewat region leaving two constables injured. They even fired at cops, but were caught after a chase.
On Wednesday, a vehicle transporting illegal cattle was intercepted by police at check post Bibipur Mod in Mewat. The police were tipped-off about a Tata 407, No. RJ 05 GA 5061 which was stuffed with 9 cows and bulls at 11.30pm.
Knowing that the police has been alerted, the accused halted at a distant location while the cops waited throughout the night. Assuming the cops would have dispersed by morning, the suspected vehicle approached Bibipur village the next day at 10.30am.
After attacking the police officials, the cattle smugglers tried to flee, but were chased by police personnel.
The cattle smugglers were armed with illegal firearms and opened fire on the police during the chase. ASI Balbir Singh, ASI Satbir Singh and the two constables from Nuh police station continued their heroic chase battling through the firings before finally catching up with the goons in Chilawali Village.
There were nine men in the Tata 407 namely Chauda aka Rojdaar, Shakil, Ishad, Ivrish, Kayyam, Wasim, Abid, Asif along with one driver. The accused abandoned their vehicle and animals and ran into Chilawali village.
“This is a regular affair in Mewat. We battle the meat mafia on regular basis and are constantly pelted with stones and fired at with illegal weapons which they posses. There is a threat to our lives each time we chase these Mewati cattle smugglers,” said ASI Satbir Singh from Nuh Police Station.
“There are several gaurakshak organizations like Gau Gyan Foundation, Dhyan Foundation, Monu from Mensar and several other gau raksha teams that assist us by providing us information of illegal animal trafficking which helps us in nabbing these hardened criminals,” said ASI Balbir Singh, who led the recent operation to nab the Mewati cow-smugglers.
The vehicle stuffed with cattle has been seized and the helpless animals inside it have now been rehabilitated at Nuh gaushala.
An Fir No. 534/17 26th July has been registered at Nuh Police Station against all nine men in the truck. All nine accused have been booked under the Arms Act, the Haryana Gauvansh Sanrakshan and Gausamwardhan Act and several sections of the IPC including section 307 for attempt to murder.
With each animal fetching a minimum of Rs 30,000 in the illegal beef market for its meat and hide, the meat industry is surely thriving in Haryana’s Mewat region where several thousand cattle are trafficked and slaughtered every month. It is pertinent to note that the possession, consumption, sale and purchase of beef in Haryana is strictly prohibited, illegal and punishable as per the Haryana Cow Slaughter Act.
The cow trafficking mafia is a well-funded and well-armed criminal enterprise which routinely attacks and kills farmers, police, animal rights activists and anyone who happens to come in their way. One could be mistaken for being unaware of the terror of these cow smugglers, given the disproportionate media attention to incidents of cow vigilantism where people have taken law into their own hands to combat cow theft.
In rural areas, and even in some urban ones, gangs of smugglers enter villages at night, armed with guns and pistols, to kidnap cattle before fleeing away in trucks which they sell for slaughter. Here are some other recent incidents where the cow smugglers have attacked police and others –
- July 2, 2017: A farmer Charan Singh was shot dead by armed cattle thieves after he tried to save his buffalo from them. The incident took place in Kotrekapura village of Agra.
- June 25, 2017: Cattle smugglers tried to run over a vehicle at police “yet again” in Shajahanpur. One of the accused was identified as Ehsaan.
- June 2017: A police party that had gone to stop illegal cow slaughter out in the open in Khalapar locality of Muzaffarnagar, UP on Tuesday was savagely attacked by a mob with stones and firearms. 4 policemen were injured and the mob managed to free 3 accused who had been arrested by police.
- June 2017: Police attacked when it tried to stop cow slaughter in Katka village, Jansath tehsil, Muzaffarnagar. Criminals started started firing on police and 4 policemen were injured. Police managed to arrest two – Bhura (a.k.a Israel) and Khaleel – while 8 persons managed to flee.
- June 2017 – Gang of seven cattle smugglers opened fired at villagers in Ghiraura village of Etah district, after they failed to steal buffaloes.
- April 2017 – Cow traffickers fire at police, ram police vehicle & barricade in New Delhi
- November 2, 2016: Cattle smugglers shot dead a woman after being caught stealing her buffaloes. The incident took place in Asrauli village of Dehat kotwali area of UP’s Etah district.
- October 22, 2016: Cattle smugglers opened fire at a dairy farmer in Panipat, Haryana after he catches them red-handed.
- August 5, 2016: Cattle smugglers drive a pick-up van over a 56-year-old constable named Triloki Tiwari in Jaunpur, UP.
- August 1, 2016 – two farmers were shot and injured by cattle smugglers in Kasganj district.
- July 21, 2016 – Cow smugglers in Amravati, Maharashtra crushed family of 3 (mother, father, small child) to death under their truck and injured more than 40 in a desperate attempt to escape police.
- June 19, 2016: Cattle smugglers ran over and killed a Dalit man in Agra’s Firozabad district when he tried to stop them from stealing his cattle.
- June 6, 2016: Two men kill a chowkidar Data Ram after suspecting him to be a police informer on cow slaughter incidents in Lucknow’s Azamgarh district. The accused were later identified as Jakib and Itikar.
- June 1, 2016: A 16-year-old girl was shot dead by cow thieves after she confronted them. The incident happened in Etah district of Agra
- Feb 2016 – VHP’s Dalit leader Arun Kumar Mahaur was shot dead for opposing cow slaughter in Agra by Shahrukh and 4 others.
- January 9, 2016: Cattle smugglers kill a BSF constable in West Bengal
- October 10, 2015: Prashant Poojary, a Bajrang Dal member actively involved in preventing illegal cow slaughter and transportation, was killed by cow smugglers in Mangaluru. Police later arrested a suspect Mohammad Imtiaz Gantalkatte in the case
- September 10, 2015: Cattle smugglers shot dead a sub-inspector, Manoj Mishra, in Bareilly’s Faridpur.
- February 20, 2015: Cattle smugglers kill two policemen, including a head constable in Mathura, UP, when the police tried to intercept a vehicle carrying cows near Azizpur village.
- June 24, 2014: Cattle smugglers fire at a farmer after he catches them stealing his cows in Shahjahanpur in UP.
- May 1, 2014: Cattle smugglers fire at villagers and police after being caught in Gurgaon’s Baliawas. Later nabbed by police and identified as Aabid and Umar.
- February 7, 2014: Cattle smugglers kill two villagers in Bareilly. Report says, “Residents alleged that this is not an isolated case as several unsuccessful attempts in the past have been thwarted by alert villagers who raised an alarm, forcing the gang to flee.”
Did you like this article? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.