The Goa bench of the Bombay High Court has upheld the acquittal of six members of the Sanatan Sanstha on Saturday in connection with the 2009 Margoa blast.
While upholding the decision of the trial court, the bench comprising of Justices MS Sonak and MS Jawalkar stated that the pieces of evidence presented by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) were sketchy and that the agency had failed to prove that the members of the Sanstha had planned to blow up an IED (improvised explosive device) on Deepavali eve.
The agency was also pulled up by the court for not conducting thorough forensic tests at the site where blast tests were allegedly carried out by the accused. Additionally, the District Magistrate’s permission was not sought to register a case under the Explosive Substances Act, 1908.
It has also been alleged that two members of the Sanstha were killed on 16th October 2009, when they were transporting the explosive device to plant it at a Narkasur effigy at the site where the Chief Minister and others were set to attend a competition function the next day. Police are said to have recovered an IED from a field supposedly thrown there by the driver of the truck who had discovered it in his vehicle.
The trial court had found no merit in the case and all the accused had been acquitted by the lower court. The NIA had approached the HC against the acquittals. The justices observed that the evidence of “whitish nylon bag containing explosives planted in the truck” which was used in an attempt to link it with the accused was insufficient.
Furthermore, the court said that it could not accept the argument that the members of the Sanstha were opposed to Narkasur effigy competitions as sufficient grounds to believe that they would have caused the explosion.
The court also dismissed the Agency’s arguments that blast trials had been conducted in a pit behind the house belonging to the brother of one of the deceased citing that there was neither any forensic test to back this claim nor was there any solid proof to show that it was indeed the accused who were involved in the ‘trial blasts’.
सनातन संस्थेच्या सर्व ६ साधकांना मुंबई उच्च न्यायालयाने २००९ या वर्षी झालेल्या मडगाव ब्लास्ट प्रकरणात निर्दोष मुक्त केले आहे ! – श्री. चेतन राजहंस, राष्ट्रीय प्रवक्ता, सनातन संस्था@abpmajhatv @JayMaharashtrN @TV9Marathi @zee24taasnews pic.twitter.com/Jfx4eJ3JvV
— Sanatan Sanstha (@SanatanSanstha) September 20, 2020
Issuing a statement on behalf of the Sanstha, their National Spokesperson Shri Chetan Rajhans stated that they welcomed the decision given by the Goa bench of the Bombay High Court. He also said that the then Congress regime had sent six members of Sanatan Sanstha to jail in relation to the 2009 Margoa (Madgaon) blast.
These six had spent four years in prison after which the trial court acquitted them. An appeal was made against the decision in the HC and the Sanstha once again stood vindicated when all of them were acquitted of all charges by the high court as well.
Shri Rajhans also said that the ruling was a big blow to those who have been attempting to spread the canard of “saffron terror”. Earlier, when the news of the acquittals trickled in, the Twitter handle of the Sanstha put out a tweet welcoming the decision and stated how the truth had ultimately triumphed.
Victory of Truth – @SanatanSanstha
Today Mumbai HC (Goa bench) uphold trial court's judgement in Margon blast case.
Detailed Press Note will release soon. pic.twitter.com/uIqqDAMciO
— Chetan Rajhans © (@1chetanrajhans) September 19, 2020
It must be mentioned here that it was the Congress-led UPA government that manufactured the bogey of “saffron terror” to cripple Hindu organisations, especially RSS. Multiple attempts were made by senior UPA ministers and leaders such as P Chidambaram, Ahmed Patel, Kapil Sibal, Digvijay Singh and others, all with the blessings of the Roman Catholic Congress supremo Sonia Gandhi, to pin blame for few terror attacks like 2008 Malegaon blasts, Samjhauta Express blast on Hindu activists like Sadhvi Pragya and Swami Aseemanand.
The encounter of LeT suicide bomber Ishrat Jehan, based on IB inputs, was distorted as a ‘fake encounter’ carried out by the Gujarat CM Narendra Modi and ‘fanatical’ Hindus within the national security apparatus. Even the Army was not spared as is evident from the framing and torture of serving Army officer Lt. Col. Purohit. Congress leaders even tried to pin the blame of the horrific 26/11 Mumbai attacks on RSS. Other secular leaders like Sharad Pawar also took great pride in spreading the ‘Hindu terror’ bogey.
As they say, a lame horse can never gallop, and all of Congress’ attempts to monkey balance Islamic terror by spreading the canard of Hindu or Saffron terror have never stood in the court of law.
The Sanatan Sanstha acquittal once again reiterates that no matter how hard the Congress & secular establishment tries to push the ‘saffron terror’ narrative to please its minority vote bank, it is bound to fail both in the people’s court and the court of law.
(Featured Image Source: Sanatan Sanstha Twitter Page)
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.