Sonia Gandhi and her motley crew of Congressis have over the last 18 months been complaining to whoever will lend them an ear, that the present NDA Government is fascist, dictatorial and out to suppress dissent and freedom of expression (FoE). Here are a few samples of the kind of invective that Sonia, her son, and their loyal henchmen have used for PM Modi or RSS in the recent past –
- Dec 8, 2015: ‘Down with dictatorship’: Angry Congress MPs shout slogans, paralyse Parliament
- Nov 14, 2015: Modi is being ‘dictatorial’: Sonia and Rahul Gandhi hit out at PM
- Oct 13, 2015: The blood-dimmed tide of fascism is loosed in Modi’s India (by M.K. Bhadrakumar, ex-diplomat and Congress apologist)
- Nov 5, 2013: Modi’s fascism is no different from Hitler’s Nazi Germany: Jairam Ramesh, Congress MP
- Jan 10, 2016: RSS promotes dictatorship: Rahul Gandhi
If one were new to Bharat, they would end up believing that Sonia Gandhi & her Congress party are true defenders of free speech in this country. But those with some knowledge of this country and its polity know that double-speak & hypocrisy are core characteristics of the post-independence Congress. Hence it comes as no surprise that the Congress has filed FIRs against two individuals who dared to question the one true God of the dynasty led Congress – Jawaharlal Nehru.
Man writes “Netaji couldn’t get his due recognition bcz of Nehru”
FIR filed for insulting Nehru
FoS for Congress pic.twitter.com/dUKet87feN
— Ankur Singh (@iAnkurSingh) March 7, 2016
This no Congi fringe, it’s IITian Jairam Ramesh who files an FIR for an innocuous comment against god Nehru. pic.twitter.com/xf8517ATxg
— हम भारत के लोग (@India_Policy) March 8, 2016
As per this news report,
“The Congress has lodged an FIR against two persons who had allegedly made derogatory remarks against Jawaharlal Nehru in the visitors’ book at the Netaji Birthplace museum here (Cuttack).
Confirming that a named FIR had been lodged against two visitors by Cuttack district unit of Congress, Darghabazar police station Internal Investigation Command (IIC) Anil Kumar Beuria said today, “We have registered a case under section 292(a) of IPC for publicly speaking ill of somebody using obscene language and have started investigation.”
“Since the museum was closed on the day, we could not verify the visitors’ book,” Beuria said, adding that the CCTV footage would also be verified to ascertain details. Using offensive language against Nehru, one of the two visitors in his remarks on Sunday afternoon said, “Netaji could not get his due recognition because of Nehru.“
The visitor, accompanied by a woman, then urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi to declassify all the files related to the disappearance of Netaji and went on signing his name, his postal address, E mail ID and telephone number below his remarks. The two visitors were from Bhubaneswar according to the address given, police said.
Incidentally, the comments caught the attention of visiting senior Congress leader and former Union Minister Jairam Ramesh shortly afterwards on the same day and he took strong exception to the “distasteful” language used against Nehru, the freedom fighter and the first Prime Minister. Ramesh read the comments while signing the visitors’ book after going round the museum on Sunday evening, Congress sources said here.”
It is still not clear what was so ‘offensive’ about what was written in the visitor’s log book that enraged Jairam Ramesh so much that he had to resort to such legal bullying? The recently declassified Bose files show that there is substantial evidence to indicate that Nehru had written a letter to then British PM Clement Attlee referring to Bose as ‘war criminal’. Moreover, Nehru’s vindictive approach towards demeaning the legacy of Bose are common knowledge. So what exactly is the Congress grouse if some citizen of Bharat values Bose’s contributions to the nation higher than Nehru?
Congress should learn from Hindutva adherents – we don’t expect half-read, ignorant 44 year olds like Rahul Gandhi to understand the visionary thinking & sacrifices of men like Savarkar, hence we ignore his stupid rantings and mocking of the freedom fighter on the floor of Parliament. Now, that is true freedom of speech – that even a wastrel like Rahul Gandhi can mouth anything he wants for Savarkar, a man who had achieved more by age 30 than Rahul Gandhi can hope to achieve in his entire life!
Predictably, none of the Award wapsi supporting ‘intelligenstia’ like Nayantara Sehgal, Romila Thapar, Keki Daruwala, Zoya Hasan etc. have uttered a single word exhorting their liberal messiah Sonia to pardon the 2 ordinary citizens from Orissa.
Sonia Gandhi’s dictatorial mindset and intolerance for Free Speech
This article by S Gurumurthy truly captures the dictatorial mindset of Sonia Gandhi who oozes contempt for this country, it’s institutions, its people and its history –
“Compare how the ‘democratic’ Sonia behaved after the National Herald case caught up with her, her son and her family loyalists. Here is the National Herald case in brief. In November 2012, Dr Subramanian Swamy exposed how Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi have grabbed properties of National Herald worth thousands of crores through a convoluted criminal strategy. After that, this newspaper carried a detailed article, National Herald Affair: It’s Fraud All The Way (TNIE, November 8, 2012), explaining the fraud. In January 2013, Dr Swamy filed a criminal complaint against Sonia, her son and family loyalists, including Motilal Vohra, the Congress party treasurer, charging them with conspiracy, fraud, cheating, and criminal breach of trust to rob the shareholders and the public of thousands of crores.
All this happened when the UPA was in power. Rahul Gandhi threatened to file a defamation suit against Dr Swamy. Swamy challenged him but Rahul ran away. In June 2014, a Delhi criminal court took cognisance of the offence and issued summons. Forthwith, Sonia Gandhi and other five accused, including Rahul, filed petitions in the Delhi High Court to quash the criminal proceedings. They kept delaying the hearing till they thought they got the judge they felt comfortable with. One judge recused himself and so did the next. The matter went to the third judge, who Sonia and her co-accused did not like, and he too recused himself. All the accused petitioned to have the matter heard by the second judge who had recused himself earlier. The case was posted before the very judge, who Sonia and her co-accused felt comfortable with. It is that very same judge, who decided on December 7, 2015 that the lower court has rightly ordered their trial and summoned them, and asked them to appear before the metropolitan magistrate. Still, hell broke loose. The very next day the Congress president was seen instigating her MPs to stall Parliament. When the Speaker asked them why were they disturbing the House, they shouted they saw in the National Herald case “political vendetta” and “democracy in danger”. When the Speaker asked them to spell out what they want and offered to allow them to raise the issue and speak in the House, they ran away from speaking in the House. Obviously, they only had instructions to stall the House. The same theatrics were repeated in the Rajya Sabha. Not that they did not talk in the House. They couldn’t.”
Other instances which reveal the way Sonia led UPA subverted Bharat’s institutions and well-established norms are:
- Overriding IB (Intelligence Bureau) and Home Ministry bureaucrats’ professional assessment in Ishrat Jahan case, resorting to torture of intelligence officials…all this just to fix their political opponents completely disregarding long-term damage to national security (or was that the goal all along?).
- Using extra-constitutional Sonia led NAC (National Advisory Council) to pressurize the Union Home Ministry to launch a parallel probe into Gujarat riots.
- Legislating the draconian section 66A of the Information Technology (Amendment) Act, 2008, which came into force in 2010. Section 66A, which was struck down in 2015 by the Supreme Court, made punishable with three years in jail posting online ‘any information that is grossly offensive or has menacing character.’ Under the law, a non-bailable arrest warrant could be issued if you upload information that you knew was false, but you posted it only to cause ‘annoyance, inconvenience, danger, obstruction, insult, injury, criminal intimidation, enmity, hatred, or ill will.’
- This law was used to arrest an aam aadmi who tweeted that the then Union finance minister’s son Karti P Chidambaram has amassed more wealth than Robert Vadra. Today, the same Karti Chidambaram is indeed facing IT-ED investigations for amassing dubious wealth across the world.
- In Aug 2012, UPA used the pretext of Assam riots to block twitter handles (including those of journalists) and sites critical of it – this led to twitterati trending #Emergency2012 and #GOIblocks and adopting black DP (display pictures) in protest.
- Reducing the CBI to a ‘caged parrot’ – in the words of no less than the Supreme Court of Bharat.
- Despite tom-tomming the RTI (Right to Information) Act as one of the major achievements of UPA, Sonia or her son have never come clean on the mysterious illness she is allegedly suffering from, or their frequent secretive foreign trips.
- Denying a second term as President to the universally respected APJ Abdul Kalam and forcing the disastrous Pratibha Patil on the nation instead.
At a personal level too, Sonia’s intransigence and intolerance for free speech and criticism is exemplified by the below cases, which barely made it to the national news cycle –
- May 18, 2008: A Gurgaon based IT professional Rahul Vaid (22) was arrested, brought to Pune (where the complaint was filed by a Congressi) and thrown in jail. His crime? Allegedly uploading ‘obscene and derogatory text’ about Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi on an Orkut community group.
- June 21, 2008: The Pune police arrested one more person for posting derogatory content about Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi on an Orkut community. Police identified the accused as Nithin Chkravarthi Suresh Sahha (22), a resident of Sharan Apartment, Begum Peth in Hyderabad.
- July 2, 2013: Another youth, Sandeep Bhalla, was arrested in Jalandhar for posting a morphed picture of Sonia Gandhi on Facebook.
- June 2010: Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singhvi’s legal firm filed a defamation case against Spanish writer Javier Moro for his biography on Sonia Gandhi “The Red Saree: When Life is The Price of Power”. Moro used reliable sources to write two passages which didn’t go down well with the Congress-
- One passage shows Sonia wanting to go back to Italy with Rajiv and their children after the electoral drubbing Indira Gandhi got in 1977.
- The second passage relates to the pressure on Sonia from her mother, Paola Maino, and her elder sister, Anushka, to leave the country and settle down in their home town, Orbassano, near Turin in Italy, in the aftermath of the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi on May 21, 1991.