Later in the month of April this year, one of the main accused in Malegaon 2008 blasts case, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur got bail after 9 long years. There was another case on her in Dewas, Madhya Pradesh, in which she was acquitted earlier this year. However, she is suffering from serious health conditions which have grossly affected her day to-day life. It seems that these health conditions developed because of extreme torture that she faced in the beginning years of her custody, as claimed by her family in this interview and couple of others on Sudarshan TV. Recently, Sadhvi Pragya spoke to Sudarshan TV herself post receiving bail. I too met her recently and spoke to her. Here is the transcript of the short candid interview :
– You look very unwell, thank you for speaking to me in spite of not feeling well. Would you like to say something about your current health status?
Sadhvi Pragya – Basically, I have not been keeping well from last few years. I am generally more sick in the mornings because of cervical pain. This is basically due to physical tortures I went through. I don’t want to go into the details of what illnesses and conditions I have developed. I am sure you understand that I am tired of repeatedly pointing these out in the courts, most of my health conditions during the time of custody were used by opposition to insult me in front of judges, since this whole saffron terror case was a conspiracy, my illnesses were used to inconvenience me in the name of check -ups and consultations.
– I understand. I am not going to make you go into details of tortures suffered by you, that is fairly known by now on the ground..
Sadhvi Pragya – It pains me to keep delving into it. Firstly, as a sanyasin, I found it very difficult to come to terms with the fact that I will have to take such extensive allopathy treatments and even go for surgery. My father was an Ayurvedic vaidya and I have mostly taken only Ayurvedic treatments since childhood. I am extremely sensitive to modern allopathy drugs. I have maintained my strength and survived absolutely on yoga and meditation.
–I hope the people and media aren’t troubling you too much, is this also the reason that you look too stressed out?
Sadhvi Pragya – Of course, there are people who come mainly to click selfies these days. Now every media house wants my statements or interview. For 9 long years, nobody in English mainstream media wanted to publish my family’s side of story, my side of story. Politics is everywhere and I don’t have any political ambition other than serving my country as a sanyasin, i.e. ‘rashtrasewa’.
– You have also been discharged off all charges in another case on you in Dewas, MP, earlier this year. Would you like to say anything about it..
Sadhvi Pragya – I had nothing to do with that case. I was dragged into it unnecessarily in the first place. I had gone to the Dewas court in 2016 and had spoken to judge for half an hour explaining my stand. I went through great inconvenience in travelling. But I am glad the judge could see the facts and she even quoted couple of my statements while announcing the verdict later.
– We are hearing that certain people / victims of the Malegaon blasts have filed against your bail plea in Supreme court…
Sadhvi Pragya – I don’t want to comment anything on that right now.
– As a Sanyasi, it must be difficult for you to support yourself financially, mainly because of the health conditions.. I remember, your family had said that you had only about 2000 rupees when the police had detained you in 2008.. How are you managing?
Sadhvi Pragya – The main problem is, I cannot do ‘bhikshatan‘ on my own because of ill- health. Hence, I am compelled to take help from community, more so because the treatments are expensive. People have been kind too, various people come and help in different ways, some financially. The idea is to live simply, it is unfortunate that because of my ill-health, I have to take help. There was a time when I used to donate even gold and silver. I was very fit health-wise. My life’s only aim has always been to serve my country. Divine has taken care of me till now, and He will continue to take care. I thank all the people for the help.
– There must a lot of suggestions coming your way, from various organizations and individuals. ..
Sadhvi Pargya – Yes, of course. Honestly, it gets very difficult to decide things. The challenges are many. All Hindu organizations have stood by me in different ways.
– After receiving bail, your counsel has applied in Supreme Court requesting the court to discharge you of all charges in Malegaon blasts 2008 case. Is that true?
Sadhvi Pragya – Yes, that’s true. My lawyer has moved the SC citing the High Court bail verdict that ‘there is no prima facie evidence against me’. The fact that I was so severely tortured proves that this whole case was a conspiracy against me.
– Thank you for speaking to us Sadhvi ji.
Did you like this report? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.