Controversial Congress leader Ahmed Patel has called for PM Modi to be punished at a public square, in what can be interpreted as a reference to sharia-style punishment meted out in Islamic countries like Saudi Arabia.
Citing PM Modi’s remarks asking for people’s support for demonetisation, Patel said it’s people’s turn to “choose chauraha (intersection) and punish PM.” “Modiji ne kaha tha sirf 50 din dijiye, agar uske baad kuch na kr paaun to choraha pasand kariye, saza bhugatne ko tayyar hun (Modi Ji has demanded 50 days and said if he comes out unsuccessful, then choose and intersection, he will be ready to face punishment),” he said. “Ab humein choraha achhcha pasand karna hai (now we need choose a good intersection),” Patel said.
Patel is a shadowy, but powerful figure in the Sonia-led Congress dispensation. As political secretary to Sonia Gandhi (in the 8os he was parliamentary secretary to Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi), he has unhindered access to the Nehru-Gandhi parivar, and his name has come up in several scams –
- In the AugustaWestland helicopter scam, an Italian court judgement convicting AugustaWestland chopper company chief Giuseppe Orsi has named Sonia Gandhi, her secretary Ahmed Patel and other Congress leaders as recipients of those kickbacks. The 225-page judgment reveals that Sonia’s Political Secretary (Ahmed Patel) accepted the commission of €15 to 16 million ($17 – 18 million) from the middlemen.
- In the Coal block allocation scam, PM Manmohan Singh claimed that his office had cleared the files on UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi’s political secretary Ahmed Patel’s recommendation. (this news was first reported by MumbaiMirror, but they later retracted under pressure from Government)
In his book The Accidental Prime Minister: The Making and Unmaking of Manmohan Singh, Sanjaya Baru, who was former PM Manmohan Singh’s media adviser, unveils several facts about Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s political secretary, 65-year-old Ahmed Patel, and his role in the party as well as the UPA government. Baru reveals that all political messages between Sonia and Manmohan Singh used to be routed through Patel. An increase in the frequency of his visits to the PM signalled an impending Cabinet reshuffle, writes Baru. Patel had the power to influence decision-making until the very end of the UPA regime.
Patel had been a close aide of Sonia even before she stepped into politics. Often referred to as Sonia’s “crisis manager”, he is considered the most influential person in the party after the Gandhi family. “All roads to Sonia Gandhi pass through Ahmed Patel,” it is said.
To understand the understated clout Ahmed Patel enjoys in the Congress hierarchy and his role in all key decisions taken at 10 Janpath (Sonia Gandhi’s residence), one should read this profile.
Many believe that Ahmed Patel was at the heart of the conspiracy hatched by the Sonia Gandhi led UPA government to frame then Gujarat CM Narendra Modi and BJP leader Amit Shah in the Ishrat Jehan encounter & other 2002 riot related cases, to pre-empt their rise on the national stage.
History of Dehumanizing Abuse Heaped on Modi
Ahmed Patel and other Congress leaders have a history of vitriolic, denigratroy and dehumanizing abuse directed at Narendra Modi. Here is a list of some of the vilest abuses hurled at him by Congress leaders; you can read the entire list at DeshGujarat –
- Maut Ka Saudagar (merchant of death): Congress Chief Sonia Gandhi called Modi a Maut Ka Saudagar in her 2007 Gujarat election campaign speech.
- Snake, Scorpion, dirty man: Senior Congress leader and Rajya Sabha MP Manishankar Aiyar in March 2013, said that Modi is a snake, scorpian, a dirty man.
- Gandi Nali ka kida: Gujarat Congress’s then prabhari BK Hariprasad described Modi as ‘Gandi Nali ka kida’.
- Ghanchi: Congress MP from Surendranagar Soma Ganda Patel made this casteist remark on Modi during an election rally in November 2012. Modi is Ganchi by caste which is part of Other Backward Class (OBC).
- Monkey, victim of rabies: Gujarat Congress President Arjun Modhwadia compared Narendra Modi with monkey in his election rally speech in October 2012. Modhwadia also said that Modi is infected with rabies.
- Failed husband: Gujarat Congress President Arjun Modhwadia in his election campaign speech in November 2012 started speaking about Modi’s personal life in election rallies. He raised questions on Modi’s marriage life in bad taste.
- Badtamiz, Nalayak, who is his father? Mother?: In a 2009 Lok Sabha campaign rally, Congress leader Rizwan Usmani described Modi as Badtamiz, Nalayak and asked who is Modi’s father? Who is his mother?
- Hitler and Pol Pot: Congress Rajya Sabha MP from Goa Shantaram Naik on 7 June, 2013 compared Narendra Modi with Pol Pot and Hitler.
- A Virus: On same day 7 June, 2013 Congress party leader Renuka Chaudhary described Narendra Modi as a Virus called ‘NaMonitis’ which is like pneumonia.
- Monkey: On 8 June, 2013 Union Minister for External Affairs Salman Khurshid compared Modi with monkey. He said Modi pulls crowds as people come to watch a monkey perform.
- Bhasmasur (a demon who burns everything he touches) : On 13 June, 2013 Union cabinet minister and senior Congress leader Jairam Ramesh said Modi is Bhasmasur.
- Mad dog: Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma on 14 July 2013 called Narendra Modi a mad dog.
- Gangu Teli: Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on 17 August 2013 told Narendra Modi is ‘Gangu Teli.’ Azad’s remark was casteist one, as Modi belongs to Ghanchi community whose traditional occupation is oil-pressing. This was not the first casteist attack on Mr. Modi – Congress MP Soma Ganda Patel had described Modi as Ghanchi in public speech in 2012.
- Aadamkhor (Man-eater): Union Cabinet Minister and Congress leader Beni Prasad Verma on 11 January 2014 in Uttar Pradesh called Narendra Modi a man eater (aadamkhor).
- Mentally retarded: Gujarat Congress president Shri Arjun Modhwadia on 2nd February 2014 described Narendra Modi as mentally retarded person.
- Impotent: Union Minister Salman Khurshid on 26 February called Narendra Modi ‘impotent.’
- Aurangzeb: On 29 March 2014, Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia compared Narendra Modi with cruel Islamic ruler of Mughal period Aurangzeb.
- Mad: Congress partner NCP leader Sharad Pawar called Narendra Modi ‘Paagal’ or a mad person on 31st March 2014.
- Barbarian: Congress partner Bahujan Samaj Party candidate from Muradabad Haji Yakum Qureshi called Narendra Modi a ‘darindaa’ or barbarian.
- Bleeder: Congress leader Shashi Tharoor called Narendra Modi ‘Bleeder’ on 21 April 2014.
- ‘Modi ki bot-boti kar denge’ (we will chop Modi into pieces) – During the 2014 Lok Sabha election, Congress leader Imran Masood had said that he will chop Narendra Modi, then the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate, into pieces. 2 years later he was elevated to post of Uttar Pradesh Congress committee vice president.
Some authoritarian/fascist/dictator/strongman, this Narendra Modi! And some liberal, progressive party, this Congress!
Here is a man running a Government with full majority for the first time in 30 years, and if one were to believe what is being churned out in Bharat’s English newspaper op-eds, weekly newsmagazines and TV debates, he is ruthlessly clamping down on any dissent…and yet, his political opponents fearlessly abuse him with choice invective, and the op-ed writers and left-liberal political commentators keep taking pot-shots at him every day!
Did you like this report? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.