Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grabs, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 27 June 2021 to 3 July 2021, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) A case of grooming jihad has come to light from Kolgawan, district Satna, Madhya Pradesh. A Muslim man entrapped a young Hindu girl and eloped with her during the night. Her family came to know about the incident in the morning and immediately approached the police.
2) A Muslim employee, his father, and brother-in-law arrested for converting and marrying the minor daughter of his Hindu employer. Three residents of Uttar Pradesh’s Firozabad district have been arrested in Gujarat on charges of trying to convert a 15-year-old girl and marrying her. The girl’s father, a resident of Jaunpur district in Uttar Pradesh, runs a canteen in Bharuch in Gujarat, and one of the accused, Salim, was an employee there.
3) Bollywood movie Sherni, based on the murder of Tigress Avni, has twisted the facts of the incident and presented it with an anti-Hindu bias. The film has made Hindus villains in the film while the truth is anything but that. Like every other film, Bollywood has shown its Hindu hatred in this film as well, by mocking Hindu beliefs and showing those who practice them with a negative image.
4) American news website New York Post displayed its Hinduphobia by using the pic of a Hindu priest in a news pertaining to a Maulvi being castrated by his wife for planning his third marriage.
5) The SC (Supreme Court) has turned down a plea that sought protection for Hindus in the Muslim majority of Nuh district located in Haryana’s Mewat.
6) Breaking and desecrating murtis continues in Tamil Nadu after the atheist anti-Hindu DMK government was sworn in. Following the incident of beheading murtis in a Chola era temple, the hands and crown of Amman murtis have been chopped off in a temple in Villupuram. Police are on a search to find the anti-social elements who broke the murtis.
7) UP ATS (Anti Terrorist Squad) has taken three more people into custody on Monday after it had earlier arrested Delhi residents Mufti Kazi Jahangir Alam Kasmi and Mohammad Umar Gautam accused of converting more than 1000 economically weaker people to Islam in UP & Delhi through various illegal means and allurements.
8) The Popular Twitter handle @noconversion and people helping the person behind the handle with operating social media accounts are being harassed by the Congress government in Rajasthan. One of the supporters, Bhawi Singh based in Mumbai, was harassed by Jaipur police for being an admin of a Telegram group run by @noconversion. No conversion has been creating awareness about deceptive methods of evangelists, cultural appropriation, etc through different social media.
9) Mohib Pathan from Vadodara is the latest to be arrested for grooming jihad in Gujarat. A 23-year-old Hindu woman has accused him of forcefully converting her to Islam. Multiple cases of grooming jihad are coming to light from the state following the introduction of a new law prohibiting unlawful conversions by the Gujarat Government on the 15th of this month.
10) The Uttar Pradesh Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) has registered another FIR against two Delhi-based clerics, who have been accused of forcibly converting scores of people to Islam. The case involves the conversion of a Hindu girl in the Shahjahanpur district. The 29-year-old girl had married a Muslim youth after converting to another religion.
11) 14 accused involved in the Palghar mob lynching case, where 2 sadhus and their Hindu driver were brutally murdered in the presence of the police, have been granted bail by the Thane district court on Tuesday. However,18 others involved in the crime have not been given bail.
12) A case of grooming jihad has been reported from Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh. A Muslim man Aash Mohammad s/o Salahuddin has lured a Hindu girl to elope, just three days before her marriage. Her family now fears that the accused has converted their daughter to Islam and married her. Police have lodged a case under UP’s new anti-conversion law.
13) Uttar Pradesh (UP) ATS (Anti Terrorist Squad) has arrested a sixth person in relation to the mass illegal conversion racket in a joint operation with the Gujarat ATS. The arrested accused has been identified as Salahuddin Sheikh who is the Managing Trustee of AFMI Charitable Trust in Vadodra.
14) On Monday night in Meerut, a Sadhu of Tombi Math was beaten to death with bricks by unknown criminals. Reportedly, after the incident, the killers fled after throwing the body on the main road outside the house. People came to know about this incident the next morning and a commotion started. Sadhu Chandrapal alias Sukki (45), who lived here, was a Sadhu of the Tombi Math near the Chandi Baba temple.
15) A habitual criminal who had 3 Aadhar cards in different names traps a Hindu girl using the name Rakesh. In order to fulfill his plans, he kidnapped and murdered a nine-year-old child. It was during the police investigation that his motive for the crime was revealed.
1) Hindu girl Supta Goush was forcefully abducted & converted to Islam by a radical group at Chandaosh Kaliganj P.S Gazipur District.
2) Hindus are continuously being persecuted for alleged blasphemy against Islam. On 27 June a Hindu boy Nihar Ranjan Sarker has been arrested in charge of blasphemy against Islam at Dashmonia P.S Patuakhali Dist.
3) Muslims attacked a Hindu temple and vandalized the murtis at Tambulkana P.S Faridpur district.
4) Hindu girl Disha Mondal was forcefully abducted & converted to Islam by Mohammad Tariqual Molla at Khandhi, Kotalipara P.S Gopalganj District.
5) Hindu girl Rupa Rani was forcefully abducted & converted to Islam by an Islamic radical group at Sadar P.S Shylet District.
1) Upset Hindus are urging The City of Edinburgh Council to halt the funding to Edinburgh International Festival (EIF) for its collaboration in the mockery of Hindu gods.
2) A coalition of 75 American Hindu temples and spiritual organizations (including 17 from New Jersey) from across 20 states sent a letter to Rutgers University today expressing anguish and concerns regarding Professor Audrey Truschke’s actions and statements. The letter, coordinated by the Coalition of Hindus of North America (CoHNA), included some of the largest temples and spiritual organizations, whose memberships include tens of thousands of attendees from diverse sectarian, social, ethnic, and national backgrounds – including from the United States, Canada, Bharat, Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Fiji, Malaysia, and Singapore, among others.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected]. We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.