Another self-avowed liberal has called for the assassination of Narendra Modi. This one’s name is Ram Subramanian, an advertising professional turned activist and film-maker, who tweeted the below today –
This blue-ticked twitter celebrity’s bio says “writer / director. His full name is Ramamurthy Subramanian, a 39-year-old ad film-maker who has worked in agencies such as Ogilvy, Contract and Trikaya Grey (now Grey India) – and now runs his own production firm called Handloom Picture Company. He has directed many advertising films for brands across sectors including denim brand Levis, ING Vysya Bank, Thomas Cook, Maggi, OLX and ICICI Bank among others.
He also dabbles in social activism through his Voice of Ram website and social media. His claim to fame as an activist is the Profile for Peace campaign calling for peace between Bharat and Pakistan, in which controversial student activist Gurmehar Kaur also participated, besides other celebrities like Mahesh Bhatt and Vishal Dadlani.
Subramanian’s political leanings are clear – he is a dedicated volunteer for AAP and although he claims to not be an AAP member, he admits “I’ve given them donations and set templates for their campaigns.”
Here are some more gems from the ‘peace activist’ –
Here he is seen abusing an accomplished professional woman, who also happens to be the spokesperson for BJYM (BJP’s youth wing) Chandigarh –
This Brand Equity interview gives some more interesting insights into what makes this ‘social activist’ tick –
- He is product of Baldwin Boys College, Bengaluru and a President’s Medal winning Boy Scout
- He toyed with the idea of joining the army, and was thoroughly disinterested in politics through college — his chief concerns were getting laid, drinking beer and bunking
- He is a talented ad-professional, as testified by industry veterans who have worked with him
- Ram admits “If I am bored, I indulge in entertainment. Activism keeps my mind ticking. If I play PS4 for 20 hours — and I have — I wake up feeling I’ve wasted the day. But if I save some trees in Aarey, I feel I’ve done something at least.”
- Asked if the activism is likely to dent his prospects, Ram says, “I don’t care. I’ve reached the point where I’ve stopped thinking about consequences.”
It will be easy to blame Ram Subramanian for his thoughts and words today – of course, as an adult he must face up to the full consequences of what he has tweeted. The Home Ministry and other investigating agencies cannot and should not take any death wishes directed at the country’s PM lightly. But Subramanian is the not the first so-called ‘liberal’ to go down this path – at least two columnists for Lutyenite Raghav Bahl’s (ex-owner of Network 18) website Quint – Suprateek Chatterjee & Vikas Malhotra – have expressed similar desire – to see Modi dead. And there must be many more like them, we are sure.
What is it that leads so many English-speaking professionals, especially those in liberal professions like ads/films/journalism/media, and mostly from privileged urban backgrounds – to regard the present PM in particular, and practising Hindus in general, with such malice and hatred. It is time we reflect on the education system and deracinated social milieu that are producing such minds.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.